Friday 9 January 2015

Inspired by..... Card 1

Hello

Today I begin a new mini series on my blog which features cards I've created based off of something that has inspired me.  For this card I took my inspiration from dragon scales to create the background design.  The effect is quite striking, but getting it done did take a rather long time!

Materials used:

  • Black top folding card base
  • Two shades of purple paper
  • Gold shimmer paper
  • White card
  • Silver and gold shimmer spray
  • Circle punch
  • Cake, stand and 'happy birthday' stamps (Bake a cake stamp set)
  • Gold gel pen

I began by spraying the purple papers with both the gold and silver sprays (which I've made using metallic paint and water) drying in between colours.  Following this I stamped the two cake segments and cut them out.  Then I punched a rather significant amount of circles from the papers. I covered a piece of light weight cardboard from packaging with double sided tape.  Then I took my circles and placed the first row so that half of the circle was over the edge, the second row was placed above in between and half over the first row. Repeat until you reach the top.  I trimmed off the overhang with my craft knife to complete my background.

To assemble the white panel I stamped the cake stand and the sentiment then added the two cake pieces with dimensional foam tape.  I used a gold gel pen to add details to the cake and stand along with dash lines around the edge.

The white panel was adhered to the background piece with foam tape, then using double sided tape to the gold shimmer paper and finally on to the card base.

This card did take a long time because of the background, but I do really love the way it turned out.  Some of the circles do have additional double sided tape added as only a small section touched the cardboard behind.  I have done this a couple times on a much larger scale on a canvas to give as gifts but I used liquid glue rather than tape and different colours of paper.

That's all for today.
Till next time.
Stacey

P.S. This card has been added to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge 'Something New' as a new technique.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty - love the CAS design.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete