Friday 19 December 2014

DIY TARDIS Christmas Ornaments

Hello!

Today I reveal the fact that I'm a bit of a geek.  One of my favourite shows is Doctor Who and I couldn't resist making some TARDIS ornaments to give to my friend for Christmas (who is the person who got me hooked on the show).  These are not easy to make and they take a really long time as well.  But I think they are so worth it!



Materials:

  • TARDIS blue light-weight card, white (or in my case really, really light purple) and black card
  • Light-weight cardboard (cereal boxes are good) and thick cardboard 
  • 1 x 1 cm square punch (trust me you will want one)
  • Light blue Sharpie
  • Fine tip black pen
  • Sliver gel pen
  • Sliver wire

First I made a box based off of this tutorial from the lightweight cardboard to form a sturdy base.  I glued mine completely shut as I didn't want the box to open.  I then cut a piece of the blue paper to the same size needed to make the box and wrapped it around the cardboard.  Before I adhered the paper to the box I used my scissors to cut the tabs so that they could fold nicely over the top and bottom.  Kinda like what you do when you make the box but I was being lazy so just used the folds created when I wrapped it around the box as my guide.  If you have paper that isn't coloured all the way through (it has a white core) like mine did then use the light blue sharpie to carefully colour the edges blue.

From a spare piece of the blue paper I created two templates for the doors to trace around.  I needed two templates because all the sides aren't equal.  With the blue sharpie I traced around the outside of these templates onto all four of the sides of the Tardis and added a line down the middle of each resulting box.  I suggest doing this before you adhere the paper to the box also.  Then I wrapped the box and adhered down all the tabs.


For the two sides and the back of the Tardis, I punched two white squares and four blue squares, and for the front, three white and three blue.  On all but one of the white squares I drew on with a fine tip black pen the window panes.  The last white square has some (not all) of the writing from the sign.  For all of the blue squares I used the blue sharpie to colour the white core around the edges.  The 'Police Public Call Box' Sign is 0.5cm wide and 3cm long for the front and back and 2.7cm long for the sides.  I used the silver gel pen to write on these strips before adhering them to the box along with all the squares using double sided tape.

The top and bottom pieces are made from pieces of cardboard covered with the blue paper.  The smallest piece is 2.5cm x 2.5cm and the two bigger pieces are 3.8cm x 3.5cm.  One of the larger squares is adhered to the bottom of the tardis with a strong liquid glue.  Before I added the two top pieces I used a needle to create a hole through the center of both of them to add a loop of wire.  The wire is secured under the bottom piece with tape and adhesive is also under the top piece so it doesn't move around.

As I was giving these cute little TARDIS ornaments as a gift to my friend for Christmas, I created this box using this tutorial.


Materials:
  • TARDIS blue light-weight card, white light-weight card
  • Dark blue ink (Archival Cobalt)
  • Star background stamp (Hero Arts Tiny Star Background)
  • Paper bow made from silver paper

As I said at the start, these are time consuming (and unfortunately cannot travel through time and space).  These three took me around two hours to make but my friend loved them!

This is the end of my Christmas-ness for this year and for the blog too.  I will be back in the first week of January with a birthday card.

Till next time,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment