Monday 15 December 2014

Paper Poinsettias

Hello

Today I bring you the first of my ornaments.  These are simple poinsettias, made from several identical pieces.

Materials used:

  • Red and green paper
  • Gold shimmer spray
  • Leaf stamp
  • Red and light blue (because I didn't have green) archival ink
  • A pin
  • String
I began by spraying both the red and green papers with my homemade shimmer spray (gold metallic paint with water in a spray bottle) and leaving it to dry.  Once the paper was dry I stamped seven leaves in red ink onto the red paper and three leaves in light blue ink onto the green paper.  I then cut them all out with scissors.

Line up all the red leaves together in one stack and push the pin through all of them at the bottom of the leaf.  This is so you can use the pin as an anchor for the leaves while you rotate them to find a placement you like.  Once I had the leaves arranged to my satisfaction I flipped the flower over and used tape to secure them.  I then removed the pin and added a small amount of liquid glue under the top three leaves.

Following the formation of the flower I then added the three green leaves behind the flower using tape to secure them.  Using liquid glue I added gems to the front for the center of the flowers.  Finally a simple loop of string attached to the back with tape allows the ornament to hang.

Other options:
I made another poinsettia out of gold paper and used gold embossing powder instead of just stamping the leaves.  I never quite got round to making the three leaves for this flower but had thought of making them from vellum with the gold embossing powder.

I really like how these turned out, The hardest part was cutting out all the leaves, though I imagine if you had matching dies for a particular stamp you could die cut them instead of fussy cutting them.

See you tomorrow!
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment