Monday 16 June 2014

One year celebration! Monday: Top ten basic craft supplies

Hello!

Believe it or not this week marks the one year anniversary of my blog.  While it hasn't become the most popular blog on the web, I'm still happy with the progress I have made over the last year.  So to celebrate the occasion I'm doing a post every day this week focusing on various aspects of card making.

Today's post is all about the top ten basic craft supplies that I think every card maker should own.
top ten craft supplies

1) A craft knife, cutting mat, steel rule, and pencil combo.


While paper trimmers are super cool and handy, you can't beat a good knife and rule for cutting paper.  A cutting mat on top of your work surface is a wonderful idea even if you have no intention of cutting everything as it provides grid lines (to help get things nice and straight), a slightly softer surface (which is good for stamping), and can be easily cleaned.  I've said a steel rule because (trust me I know this from experience) plastic rules won't last long.  They are also great because the little marks wont rub off leaving you to guess where 2.8cm actually is......

2) A selection of ink pads.

I'm not talking about the expensive ink pads here, I'm talking about the cheaper ones that I tend to find in department stores that come in a variety of colours.  Most of my ink pads are of these cheaper ones, mostly because I don't want to spend heaps of money on ink, but also because they do work reasonably well (I have had a few fails with them, but with the amount of success I've had, I can't complain).  I'm not saying never buy the expensive ink pads, I've got a couple myself, buy them in colours you will use all the time, because then you will get the best value for money and you will have the colours you aren't so fond of *cough* orange *cough* from the cheaper inks when you need them.
If you are wondering what the numbers are on top of the ink pads it is just a code number as I have stamped all my inks onto a couple of pieces of paper that hang on the wall for reference when I'm crafting.

3) Good white card.

I tend to buy my white card in the packets of 12 from stationery shops.  I like the 240gsm white linen card as it is heavy and has a nice texture to it.  When it comes to other colours, I'm more likely to find a cheaper alternative as I won't be using them so often.

4) A bone folder.

Super handy for getting pieces of card to fold over and stay folded over, though you can sort of get away with a rule for this but you are more likely to leave marks on your paper.

5) A stylus tool.

Handy dandy tool for scoring paper and card to help with folding or to add texture.  Also really good at making dots with nail polish if you dabble in nail art like I sometimes do.

6) A good sentiment stamp set.

If you are going to get stamps, begin with a sentiment stamp set, one that says almost everything.  I've got one from Sulivans and it has a great variety such as 'happy birthday', 'thank you', 'best wishes', 'thinking of you', and 'congratulations'.  Having a stamp set like this is useful for many projects.

7) A selection of things that are sticky.

Here I'm referring to how you will adhere things to your card.  My number one adhesive is double sided tape followed by double sided foam tape.  While many people use those tape runner things (they are pretty cool) I don't because I get my double sided tape way cheaper than the tape runners and if you haven't noticed by now I'm a bit frugal.  Also liquid glue is useful (I have a standard PVA glue and mod podge) for projects that require something a little stronger than tape.  I also tend to use regular cello tape frequently to adhere things to the back of panels and such where I know it won't be seen.  I've also got a small selection of 'washi' tapes that not only provide decoration for your cards but also can be used to hold bits of paper in place when die cutting or water colouring.



8) Scissors.

Pretty self explanatory, things need to be cut out or cut down.  Tape need to be snipped into submission.  Edges of cards need to be straightened when you stick the paper on wonky.  Many uses for the scissor.  I only have one pair but the amount of times I've wished for a bigger or smaller pair is starting to become ridiculous.  Though you can get away with just one pair provided they are of reasonable quality.

9) Colouring pencils and gel pens.

I have a set of faber castell pencils that I love to use on cards for colouring images.  I think having a set of reasonable pencils (i.e. not cheap kids ones) is good to have on hand for adding both soft and intense colour.  I also use gel pens frequently, I got a simple set a long time ago which has a decent selection of colours and I use them to add dash lines, lines, dots, and a bit of sparkle here and there.


10) A stamp press.

I only got one of these a few months ago and I haven't stopped using the thing since.  I brought a Fiskars brand press and I just love it.  Before I got one I only had a couple of small sized acrylic blocks so if I wanted to stamp larger images or border stamps I had to use the 'c' plate from my cuttlebug and that caused all sorts of problems...  The bonus with the Fiskars press is the grid lines and the sponge 'feet' that make it so much easier to line up stamps straight and stamp them in exactly the spot you want them to be.

Bonus supplies (that I think are handy):

- Patterned paper

Even a selection of plain coloured paper is great as you can use stamps to create patterns, but some patterns just can't be replicated with stamps and having pretty paper on hand is great if you are in a hurry.

- Embossing powders

In at least gold, sliver and clear.

- Glitter and glitter glue

Because shiny things are good. :)

- Buttons, rhinestones and pearls

Because embellishments can make a card.


- Die cutting machine

With a couple of embossing folders (swirls, dots, and stripes) and a few nesting dies (circles, hearts, and flowers) and if you can afford it some alphabet dies.

- Water colour paints

It's very on trend right now and they also make easy backgrounds.

- A heat tool

Though I got away with using a toaster for a long time, so long as you don't mind singeing your fingers!

- A scoring board

Handy for making card bases and those rosette things.

There you go, what I consider to be essential craft supplies for the wannabe card maker, plus the few 'extras' that I think are also great to have.

Till tomorrow.
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment