Saturday 22 November 2014

Joy to the World Christmas Cards

Hello,

Today I have two cards which use the sentiment as the main focus with an embossed vellum overlay for interest.  I've always been a fan of Christmas cards that aren't too in-your-face Christmas-y and these certainly fit that description.

Materials used:

  • Blue and red card bases
  • Vellum, black and white card
  • Silver and gold embossing powders (Ranger)
  • Versamark ink
  • Various snowflake stamps
  • 'Joy to the World' sentiment stamp (Teresa Collins)
  • Silver and gold gel pens


For the vellum piece, I used the edge of a stencil to trace the scallop shape along one side with a pencil. Flipping the piece over I began to stamp the snowflakes starting with the largest and progressing to the smallest.  After each stamp I applied the embossing powder so I could see where I had stamped so I wouldn't accidentally overlap any.  Once I had heat set the powder I turned the piece over again and used scissors to cut along the scalloped line and used an eraser to take away any left over pencil marks.
The sentiment was stamped and embossed on a tag shaped which I got by tracing a die cut and trimming out with scissors.  Using the black gel pen I created a dash line border around the sentiment.  For contrast I used a 2cm wide strip of black paper with dash lines along each edge.

The stamping of the snowflakes did take a while but if mass production is your aim then stamping a larger sheet of vellum and embossing before cutting it down would be your best option.  I quite like the simple nature of this card, all the focus is directed to the sentiment and then you notice the pretty snowflakes in the background.

Til next time
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment